- 1 1/2 cups strong brewed coffee or espresso, cooled
- 3 tablespoons rum or Marsala wine (optional)
- 16 ladyfingers or 1 sponge cake (homemade or store-bought)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Cocoa powder or grated chocolate, for garnish
- In a shallow dish, mix together the coffee and rum or Marsala wine (if using).
- Dip each ladyfinger or sponge cake round into the coffee mixture for a few seconds, then place them in the bottom of 8-10 small cups or glasses.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar together until pale and creamy.
- Add the mascarpone cheese to the egg mixture and whisk until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture.
- Spoon a layer of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers or sponge cake in each cup.
- Repeat with another layer of dipped ladyfingers or sponge cake, followed by another layer of mascarpone mixture.
- Cover the cups with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Just before serving, sprinkle cocoa powder or grated chocolate over the top of each cup.