- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Step 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch round pan.
- Step 2Place flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, butter or margarine, eggs, vanilla, and milk into mixing bowl. Beat slowly to moisten, then beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for about 2 minutes until smooth. Reserve 3/4 cup batter; pour the remainder into pan.
- Step 3Stir cocoa into the 3/4 cup reserved batter. Drop by spoonfuls over top of white batter. Using a knife, swirl the cocoa batter into the white batter to incorporate it in a marble effect.
- Step 4Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until an inserted wooden pick comes out clean.